Phil Murphy is focused on delivering real and lasting property tax relief. Keeping a promise from his campaign, he fought to restore the millionaire’s tax, which requires the wealthiest to pay their fair share to provide much-needed tax relief for middle-class taxpayers and homeowners. He also worked to take pressure off municipalities that allocate more than half of their tax revenue to school funding by directly investing in public schools at the state level.
Phil has worked to address property taxes in New Jersey by:
- Expanding eligibility for the Senior Freeze program, which opened the program to over 23,000 more seniors for the first time since 2011;
- Making more than 50,000 additional peacetime veterans eligible for the Veterans Property Tax Deduction;
- Creating the Local Efficiency Achievement Program and the Regional District Consolidation Program, which will provide tens of millions of dollars in grants to make municipal and county governments and school districts more efficient;
- Increasing direct pre-K through 12 spending by nearly $1.5 billion since taking office;
- Starting the Local Assistance Bureau to provide high-level assistance to local governments; and
- Facilitating record numbers of shared service agreements.