In his first campaign, Phil Murphy committed to standing up to the gun lobby and combating senseless gun violence. In his first term, he has lived up to that commitment, making communities across New Jersey safer.
With Phil’s leadership, New Jersey has some of the nation’s strongest gun safety laws and one of the lowest per capita gun death rates. On top of that, New Jersey is one of only two states in the entire country to earn an “A” from the Giffords Law Center. Phil has heard stories from survivors and families touched by gun violence, and he has vowed to fight on their behalf, doing whatever he can to put an end to this senseless epidemic that has already taken too many New Jerseyans’ lives.
In spite of the lack of federal legislation, Phil has taken necessary and unprecedented steps to protect New Jersey’s communities from the scourge of gun violence, including:
- Establishing a “red flag” law for gun violence protection orders to keep guns out of the hands of those deemed a risk to themselves or others;
- Strengthening background checks;
- Reducing the maximum capacity of ammunition magazines;
- Banning “ghost guns”;
- Criminalizing firearms trafficking;
- Investing in community-based violence intervention programs;
- Establishing the New Jersey Gun Violence Research Center at Rutgers University to identify evidenced-based solutions to the gun violence crisis;
- Holding the gun industry accountable for false advertising that made New Jerseyans less safe;
- Creating the States for Gun Safety Coalition, the first of its kind regional effort to combat gun violence, recognizing that most guns used in crime come from out of state; and
- Proposing a third gun safety package that includes some of the most sweeping state-level gun violence prevention measures in the country.